SRM Arts and Science College has an NSS unit functioning with an NSS program officer at the College. National Service Scheme has two types of programme.
- Regular activities
- Special Camping Programme
Those who have enrolled as NSS Volunteers are expected to work in the scheme for a period of two years and also participate in Special Camp which has Seven days duration for which Certificate will be provided from the University of Madras.
- To improve the personality of students through community service
- Motivate the students to participate in Health awareness and Blood Donation Camps
- Clean and Green activities and Awareness on Environment Protection
- To inculcate the spirit of volunteerism in students
- To render their possible service to the grievances of the community
- To expose students to the hidden social problems and enable them to address the issues
List of Events conducted under Regular Activities:
- Cleaned Kattankulathur and Potheri Railway Stations
- Cleaning camp held at Orathur village
- Conducted a Five Day Leprosy census at Kattankulathur
- Cleaned–up the temples, ponds, and lakes at Singaperumal Koil
- Conducted Plastic awareness programme in the Campus
- Organized Drawing , Essay and Elocution to create Awareness among the students
- Observed National Constitution Day
- Celebrate International Yoga Day
- Mega Free COVID-19 Vaccination Drive in the college campus
Special Camping Programme Conducted:
The NSS Unit of the College conducts Special Camp for seven days every year in Chettipuniyam Village, Chengalpet District. The NSS Unit Organized a Seven Day Special Camp at the village. Around 50 NSS Volunteers and Staff members of the College actively took part in the Camp. The Camp was aimed to create awareness to the villagers on the importance of keeping their surrounding clean, green and hygienic. The Volunteers cleaned the School Campus, Temple premise, Area around the Panchayat Building, and the main streets of the Village to impart the need of keeping the village clean. Motivational Programme and Sports were conducted for the School students to teach them the importance of education and health.
- Mr. R. Gunasekaran, Asst. Prof., Dept. of English